Should I Document an Old Character

Omega

I have an old account that I asked support staff to unlock for me. The character's age is 2553 days today. Meaning it was created roughly before Tuesday, November 3, 2009.

Character has the spirit sword, Eiry, The significant quests: (In Tutorial Tab) [Tutorial] Rescue Resident, [Tutorial] Nao's Letter of Introduction, [Tutorial] Go to School. (In Basic Tab) [Guide] Select Advent of the Goddess Renewed, [Return Incentive] Explorers League Patronage.

The "Rescue Resident" quest rewards 3 AP, so I am guessing it will lead to me doing the tutorial quests that existed prior to the most recent revamp of beginner quests which are led by Lorna. Nao's Letter of Introduction is possibly an old one, and will lead to old quest followups. I have no doubt that going through these quests will have to continue to where where I say goodbye to Eiry. Maybe you'd like to know Eiry's dialogue?

Upon logging into the character I only had Combat Mastery skill. Learned sword mastery by equiping Eiry and Shuriken Mastery by picking up a dropped one. I remember Mabinogi in G1 did not have any quests to teach you the skills, you had to learn all your basic combat skills through Tir Chonaill NPCs using the Skills keyword. Then they changed Nao's Letter of Recommendation into being the start of a quest chain that made you learn Defense, Smash, Counter Attack, and Windmill.

Remnants and information from the past is scarce, so if there's any way my use of this account can help, let me know.

Also of note, I have an Elf and a Giant character on the account that I haven't logged in to check yet. When I logged in to my human I was taken straight to Nao who explained to me that I need to choose a Talent. If you were going to use this for an Aura server you'd have to have it so players can exist without talents at an early Generation, and then when the server operator turns on the generation that added talents, you would have players go through this talk with Nao on first log in.

Edited by Omega
  • Like 1

Any information about old quests are sure to be useful, Eiry logs in particular are hard to come by as you can imagine. We have a research thread for those here: http://aura-project.org/forum/topic/108-eiry-dialogues-repost/

The dialog for getting rid of her I got from a video on YouTube I believe: https://github.com/aura-project/aura/blob/master/system/scripts/quests/beginner_uladh/202006_duncans_call.cs

There's also still some missing dialog, especially for quests that don't exist anymore and weren't interesting enough for people to Let's Play: https://github.com/aura-project/aura/issues/326

Documenting old characters would be much appreciated^^ Basically, you just have to log the quest NPC dialogues and quest data, that's the information we have a hard time getting our hands on.

On 30.10.2016 at 1:34 PM, Omega said:

If you were going to use this for an Aura server you'd have to have it so players can exist without talents at an early Generation, and then when the server operator turns on the generation that added talents, you would have players go through this talk with Nao on first log in.

It's nice to know how they handled that, and we definitely have to keep it in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I was busy for a few days but I now have that log. I don't know well enough to clean it up, but essentially I started logging from the character select screen, pressed Start, appeared at the soulstream, waited for Nao, talked to her, chose Close Combat, ended up in the bank at Tir Chonail.

I figure it's probably even better that I don't clean up the log because you can see something about added gestures, skills, and quests one might get.

firststartselecttalent_20161109_042321.txt

Here is an additional log of me stepping out of the bank, getting a Tir Chonail flyover cut-scene with the part where your character walks up to Duncan. It could also have more quest stuff, so I hope this is useful in some way.

stepoutofbank_20161109_044036.txt

Edited by Omega
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've just started playing this old characters again. I gave myself an 8th Anniversary Lorna Bag and 8x8 Saber bag just to get some desperately needed bag space, did the MusicQ pre-reg and followup to pre-reg, talked to the current event Royal Musician Alliance Cadet to do her quests all without trying to talk to any quest related NPCs. Unfortunately I completed the quest about learning to continent warp without having that logged (but I have two more characters where I can capture that particular quest anyways.

So today I decided to log my questing in Tir Chonail with my human. I did some talking to Duncan and then paused logging because I thought it would be a good idea to have many, many isolated logs. Unfortunately, while I was saving that log, I received a further part of a tutorial quest, so I realized that was the wrong thing for me to do, I should have just left MabiPale capturing.

talkingtoduncan_20161223_072709.txt

Because the game has that habit of delivering quests at delayed times, I just made a 1 hour session log. Again, I don't know well enough to filter unimportant stuff out.

longlog_20161223_084041.txt

Here is what is interesting about this log. I believe I ran through what two separate tutorial quest series. I can't tell which one I was doing at what point. For that, you'd probably have to look at tutorial quest information you already have to eliminate it as being separate from the new stuff you might not have. Duncan took my Eiry away very quickly soon as I started talking to him. Ignore the G19 quest, ignore the Ninja skill training quest. You'll also want to ignore the long sessions of me doing Combat Training from the training board next to Duncan.

I hope logging this helps in some way.

The Explorers League Patronage quest which is supposed to be exclusive for returning players sounds pretty cool from a daily quest design perspective. Let me know if I should log anything about that.

• Like 1

A small followup to my previous long log entry. includes me completing some small quests in Dunbarton (learning that daily quests are a thing), going to Tara to talk to Padan just as Ferghus asked, and being rewarded with a Beginner Eagle Whistle. I guess the followup quest was the one where Ferghus tells you to continent warp. to talk to Ethna at Qilla Base Camp. Which I guess is a quest I had already completed out of order. I'm uploading this just in case you didn't capture it already before the new Lorna and Pan beginner quests.

longlogfollowup_20161223_122640.txt

• Like 1