Updating repos

Rokon

I used to run a private Ragnarok Online server, and with that I used SVN to grab the emulator eAthena. My question is, if I wanted to update Melia, how would I go about it, would I have to use SVN? It's been years since I've done any of this and I don't like asking too many questions.

Also a less-important question: How active do you guys think the TOS private server community will be? I remember RO having the whole 10 yards, from private servers, websites to list items/quests/maps (at the time, wikis weren't too popular, good times, ratemyserver :'D)

Honestly, seeing how we (seemingly) have only 2-3 devs interested in working on Melia at all at this point, I don't think it will ever be like Ragnarok.

About updating, we use Git instead of SVN, but for the purpose of downloading and updating it's basically the same. There are Git clients and you get and update the repo through them. You've likely used TortoiseSVN if you're on Windows, there's a TortoiseGit as well, which should make that process easy. You can also, technically, use SVN clients with Git, though I wouldn't necessarily recommend that, because that can cause minor problems when trying to do more than just downloading and updating.

2 hours ago, exec said:

Honestly, seeing how we (seemingly) have only 2-3 devs interested in working on Melia at all at this point, I don't think it will ever be like Ragnarok.

About updating, we use Git instead of SVN, but for the purpose of downloading and updating it's basically the same. There are Git clients and you get and update the repo through them. You've likely used TortoiseSVN if you're on Windows, there's a TortoiseGit as well, which should make that process easy. You can also, technically, use SVN clients with Git, though I wouldn't necessarily recommend that, because that can cause minor problems when trying to do more than just downloading and updating.

Oh I see, I'll keep that in mind, thanks! I think since I'm just waiting for updates, I might look into Git. I've never used it before but if it's as you say, then familiarizing myself with it should be pretty cake.

I think that once things start to simplify in regards to creation of servers, I think people will be a bit more attracted. Right now, I don't even think many people know about the fact they exist in some form.