MELIA REQUEST: NPC scripting enhancement

Zira

Hello to all developers, ^_^

I was about to start on NPC dialogues for melia but when i checked Docs and "ChannelServer/Scripting" i know that this should be enhanced before starting on making dialogues.. Simplifying the process of writing NPC scripts so that many people can contribute even with low level of scripting skills (like me) :D ... Else we will have to re-write it all when enhancement is implemented on a later updates.

How about having a centralized file where we can write all usable functions so that "NPC dialogue" scripts will just focus on "dialogues" and can call a function without having to type "local" or "local function". Perhaps this can minimize filesize too.

Well something that will make dialogue writing easy coz there are many NPCs that we will have to write. ^_^

What do you propose we improve, do you have functions in mind? For the most part we won't know what functions we need until we encounter the need for them. Personally I tend to add functions at that point, when I realize the situation exists and the function is needed.

(Moved to script discussions.)

Setting a permanent variable/string on a character after finishing a quest. There are also repeatable quests up to certain times, so this would be very much useful.

Attaching Cinematic stuff upon entering the MVP zone.

When i explore the maps before starting any introductory quests. I noticed that there are many missing NPCs on field. Are the NPCs visible only for Player? Does NPCs appear on player when He/She Activates it via quest? how do we make it invisible to other player when they haven't done a certain quest yet?

* Mob Kill counter & Item obtained counter. 

* Quest Timer. There's this quest where you have to survive for 2minutes before you can access the Mining dungeon.

On 6/9/2016 at 3:22 PM, Zira said:

permanent variable/string

https://github.com/aura-project/melia/blob/master/src/ChannelServer/Scripting/ScriptManager.cs#L1488

Though I'd like to mention that quests are often times their own system, and might not require manual variable setting, depending on TOS's quest system and our implementation, which will have a huge impact on how counters, timers, etc. work.

On 6/9/2016 at 3:22 PM, Zira said:

how do we make it invisible to other player when they haven't done a certain quest yet?

Phasing, I guess that's more of a core feature, even though the scripts need to be able to control it.

Those are certainly functions Melia will need in some way or form, but I thought you had basic NPC functions in mind that will be needed to write basic NPCs^^ I think before systems to save quest progress and phasing are implemented in scripts somehow, they should be properly researched, for them to be implemented in the optimal way. I imagine both will be mainly controlled by the core, with scripts only having some simple access functions in the script manager, like startquest and completequest.

• Like 1

oh! i can't believe i missed the variable string stuff! thanks :D

Guess i can start on some few with this. And yes i agree that it should be well researched before implementing such functions. I can't really say what functions might be needed since i just started playing ToS. But part of playing is my craving to get as much info as i can. well I'm still level 31 in-game so i still have a long way to go.

I'll do whatever i can for now with what's available. And get familiarize with the game :)

• Like 1