Issues with connecting to the server

Mindoiar

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get Melia to work with a few friends. I'm hosting the server and the three bat files load fine without any issues as seen below:

Server.png

Now here's the problem:

When we add my public IP to the client.xml, the game doesn't even start up , it just says "can't load config files" (This also happens for myself). Now if we use a vpn over hamachi and use my hamachi ip, I myself can register and log in just fine, however anyone from outside will be able to get into the login-screen but then get stuck at creating a new account with new//username & Password. They receive following error message: "can't connect to the server". 

I'm suspecting it might have to do something with ports or the likes, but i'm really not very experienced in networking and was wondering if anyone might have an idea as to why this is behaving like this?

Also an additional question unrelated to the above issue:

No matter how high my lvl is, the health and stats stay the same - is that an issue from my side or is it just like that for the moment, and if yes, is this something that will be added in the future?

Best regards and thanks a lot for any help in advance,

Mindo

1 hour ago, Mindoiar said:

I'm suspecting it might have to do something with ports

Your first problem, with your public IP probably relates to you not having forwarded the necessary ports from your router to the machine the server us running on. If the client can't download certain files from the web server you will get that error message, like when it can't connect to it.

The other issue, being able to connect to the login server, but not the channel, occurs because you haven't set the channel IP in system/db/servers.txt. All the client initially gets is the IP to the login server, from there the login server tells the client where to connect to next. As you can see in that file, the default is 127.0.0.1, the local machine. If the login server tells you to connect to that IP, you're able to connect, because the server is running on the same machine, but for everybody else that IP must be your Hamachi IP. Once you change that, you and everybody else should be able to connect.

1 hour ago, Mindoiar said:

is that an issue from my side or is it just like that for the moment, and if yes, is this something that will be added in the future?

Proper stats haven't been implemented yet, though someone is working on them. This will of course be added in the hopefully near future, but you'll learn that Melia is still early in development, and not too many features are working just yet.

Hi Exec,

Thank you so much for your quick and good answer. In fact i did forget to set the channel IP in system/db/servers.txt.

Now everyone is able to connect, register, log in, select character, move around in the house (which i suppose is all handled on the login server?, but when they click on "enter the world" the screen goes black and after approx 3 seconds they're back at the login window.

login_connection_closed.PNG

Any idea? Channel server not communicating properly because of ports? Would you be able to tell which ports are required to be opened for the server to function properly? I suppose it would be the 8080, 443, 3306?

I see - thanks for the answer and the link, that's really interesting. I'd like to thank you and everyone who is working on this for creating such an opportunity for everyone :).

Best regards,

Mindo

Edited by Mindoiar

I assume you mean they can connect using the public IP now. The reason why they can't connect to the channel server is still the same, that doesn't change. The IP needs to be correct and the ports have to be open of course if they aren't yet. Though they can connect to the login server, so they probably are. Anyway, the ports are the ones mentioned in the green status message on each server window.